Enterprise Tax director Andy Wood was recently interviewed by LexisNexis’ Malcolm Skinner on the whats and whys of international pension schemes. This included both Qualifying Non-UK Pension Schemes (“QNUPS”) and Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes (“QROPS”).
The interview covers:
- The main types of offshore pension scheme recognised by HMRC
- What is a QNUPS?
- The tax treatment of such a scheme – when making contributions to it and on an ongoing basis
- The Inheritance Tax (“IHT”) treatment
- Taking benefits from a QNUPS
- When and why one might use such a scheme
- What is a QROPS?
- Why might one look at using a QROPS?
- The tax treatment of the QROPS?
- The interaction between a QROPS and UK pension flexibilities
Hopefully you will find the video interesting…or at least amusing!
Enterprise Tax have also produced an overview note of QNUPS which can be found here.
If you or your clients have any queries regarding international pension schemes or any other retirement benefit schemes then please get in touch